15.8.04

From the mouth of babes...

I actually don't know how that quote ends. Regardless, I heard an astonishing line from a twelve year old today:

"Evil exists to provoke the good in us."

I've always been a bit skeptical about philosophies regarding "balance" and the "necessity" of evil for good to exist. Yet it is certainly true that evil provokes us to combat it, and perhaps even do a bit more besides. The measure of a person is defined by how they react to the worst of the world; it often brings out our best and worst traits.

Just food for thought. I should have another post later today on an absolutely wonderful Saturday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though true that evil *can* prompt good action, that is only the case when it is in blatant violation to the moral law within (and only if that law is *held dear*).

Note that:
1. Moral law necessary to identify (define) evil
2. Love of moral law necessary to combat evil (prompt good).

Evil, however, is usually subtle; haveing the tendancy to provoke more evil before any good action is taken. But this is along the lines of what you said -- in that the measure of a person is defined by their reaction to evil.

All in all, interesting thoughts 33go, glad I stumbled over here. :)

Ender said...

Thanks for dropping by, QT!