8.8.04

Definition of Chutzpah #5112534

The things I learn from speaking with grandparents.
True Story:

My great uncle received a full tuition scholarship to Northwestern University back in the late 20s/early 30s... the complete $350/year. He took a fairly broad liberal arts curriculum, including some philosophy classes.

At the final exam of one of these philosophy courses, the professor wrote the essay question on the board: "Why?"

After a few minutes of thinking, my great uncle wrote down his name and two words, handed in the exam, and left. He received an A for the exam and the course.

Yes, you guessed it. His response was "Why not?"

I suppose if a professor has enough insolence to put up such an unanswerable question for a final, my great uncle had some right to throw it back in his face. But that move still took some chutzpah - and guts.

Someday, I want to be like him.

1 comment:

Meowmix Chatul said...

dinna worry, you will be.