Some time ago, I promised a commenter of mine (eddie_s) that I would try discussing some book recommendations, particularly in the fantasy/SF genres. I'm not even remotely ashamed to admit that I have a high opinion of my taste in books, and I'll gladly share my recs for the best of the best. This will be a two-part series; first, I'll discuss fantasy (of which there are much fewer good authors), then I'll tackle science fiction. Oh, and I'm not going to mention Tolkein. That should be required reading before any of this stuff.
Let's start off with some good series:
The Malazan Book of the Fallen
Steven Erikson
Rarely have I read a fantasy series of such detail, scope, and brilliance. I've found that fantasy books can be worthwhile reading through one of two ways: first, either through intricate world-building, and secondly, through brilliant characters woven into a compelling plot. Erikson manages to do splendidly at the first, and remarkably well (though not superbly) at the second. The books are long, and not for those who can get frustrated by half-explained phenomena that are only revisited half a book later, but they're definitely worth it. I wrote a post about the series in more depth back in June; read it for a more detailed recommendation. The series begins with Gardens of the Moon.
Discworld
Terry Pratchett
I'm not sure this counts as 'fantasy', but Terry Pratchett is a master of comedy and brilliant social commentary. His books are light, fun, reading, and are generally high quality (some of his early work is a bit rough, though). He has a number of story lines throughout his books, so you don't need to all of them to know what's going on - just the ones in the story line you like (there's a nice table in the Wikipedia entry that roughly orders the books by story line and topic). Read it for a light break from heavier stuff.
Taltos and Dragaera series
Steven Brust
Steven Brust is a literary genius. Of all the modern fantasy I have read, I suspect the quality of his writing is the highest. It's clever, profound, hilarious, and fun to read. That, and his plots and characters are brilliant. A big bonus is that the Taltos books are all relatively short (call it 250 pages or so) and easy to read. I'd start with the Taltos books in publishing order (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, Phoenix, Athyra... uh, I think then it's Dragon, Orca, Issola, Dzur, but I'm not sure), and somewhere in there (definitely after the first three), start on his Dragaera books (Phoenix Guards, Five Hundred Years After, and the Viscout of Adrilankha books). The Dragaera books are completely different, though set in the same world - they are a parody of Dumas' wordy and swashbuckling style, are rather long for Brust (500-ish pages), and are completely hilarious - for someone who enjoys the clever use of language. I can't tell you how many times I have reread these books. (He's got some other good standalones, too, but they're a bit more specialized; ask me about them after you've finished most of his two series.)
Assassin, Liveship Trader, and Tawny Man trilogies
Robin Hobb
Robin Hobb (formerly known as Megan Lindholm) is a brilliant fantasy author who has captivated me with her characters. They are some of the most real and engaging constructs I have ever come across, and I get extremely invested in their well-being (which, given her somewhat depressing plots, are constantly in danger). I've never read her books written as Lindholm (other than Gypsy, co-written with Steven Brust), so I can't recommend those books (though I've been meaning to track them down and read them), but I've devoured everything of hers as Hobb. She wrote three interlinked trilogies all set in the same world, starting with Assassin's Apprentice and ending with Fool's Fate. I thought it was a masterpiece, and have since been lending the books out to everyone I know (to great success, and I suspect generating large amounts of income for Ms. Hobb). She's recently begun another trilogy in a different world, of which the second book was just published a month or so ago. So far, it's shaping up to be pretty enjoyable, but I'll reserve judgement until the whole thing is out. Definitely not 'epic' fantasy for those of you who like that kind of thing, but they're amazing stories.
Chronicles of Amber
Roger Zelazny
These books are short, fun, and infinitely confusing. The books are layer of plots upon plots between rival claimants to a mysteriously vacated throne where quite literally the entire multiverse is at stake. They don't end, really, since Zelazny died while the issue was unresolved. But my, oh my, are the books good.
Other series that are of interest but not quite as highly recommended:
- Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books (I personally enjoyed his standalone War of the Flowers much better, and his Shadowmarch books so far look decent, but I'll withold judgement on them until later). Oh, also his standalone Tailchaser's Song is oodles of fun.
- Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series: I enjoyed most of the first six, but then sort of drifted off. I have the eleventh book on my shelf, but haven't bothered to finish it yet. Excellent world, but it gets lost in details sometime. Good stuff, though
- George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire; see my comments here, though I've since become even less entranced with his work
- Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books - they were fun, but a bit slow... I haven't read the 'new' Earthsea books, yet
- Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising books - great series to start kids off with after reading them Tolkein, but somewhat simple in retrospect
- L. Frank Baum's Oz books - all 14 of 'em: great for kids, but again pretty simple
- Orson Scott Card's fantasy - both his standalones (Homebody, Treasure Box, Magic Street, etc.) and his Tales of Alvin Maker books. I like most of his stuff, but his books aren't really fantasy, just using that as window-dressing for a good yarn. Full disclosure: to my unending chagrin, I've never read the Alvin books.
- Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry. Fun and interesting reading, but a bit cliched.
Books that will not get my recommendation, though some may be of passing enjoyment:
- Anything by David Eddings; perhaps someday I'll detail my experience reading the Belgariad
- Feist's Riftwar books - repetetive, uninspired, and poorly written
- Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth drivel - very popular, but derivative and horribly written with exceedingly flat characters
- Terry Brooks. *yawn*
- Cook's Black Company novels. I read a few, but didn't find them exceptionally worthwhile. I guess I'm a discriminating military fantasy reader.
- Stephen Donaldson. Eh, never read his Thomas Covenant books, but I did get through his 'Mordant's Need' duology, and it was drivel. Fun drivel, I'll grant. But drivel nonetheless.
- L. E. Modesitt, Jr. Oh my, the Recluse novels were some of the worst stuff I've ever read.
These lists aren't complete; for example, I still need to read some stuff by Charles de Lint, and I've only read a handful of stories of the like of Nina Kiriki Hoffman. I'll gladly take recommendations. I've also kept out things on the dubious border of fantasy, such as China Mieville's horror/steampunk. Brilliant writing, but I don't think it fits here. Nonetheless, this is a start for those who haven't read much in the genre.
16.10.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Wig, did ever read the Tale of King's Blades series by Dave Duncan?
I've seen some of his stuff, but never read it. I take it I should give The Guilded Chain a shot? It always looked kinda pulpy... but then again, Erikson's and Jordan's US covers look straight out of a romance novel, and their descriptions aren't much better.
Thanks for the rec! Next time I hit up a bookstore, I'll make sure to pick it up.
The plot is pretty good and it gets better as the series progresses (it's a trilogy I think). Some of the twists in the plot are very good, especially the ultimate one. There are some shortcomings, but I think the plot makes up for it. Though you are more picky than me...
I'd read Erickson's series, but I made a promise to myself to not start reading unfinished series after getting stuck with Jordan. I might give one of your other suggestions a try in a few weeks.
Orca came before Dragon; otherwise you got the order for the Vlad books correct.
Speaking of, have you read Dzur yet? There's actually been some worthwhile discussion of it over at juima.[/plug]
*carefully refrains from making any mention whatsoever of promised "real" emails* ...oops. :P
Thanks! I suspected that I had Dragon in the wrong place (it's so different from the rest of the latter books, being an 'early' Vlad, but a 'late' Brust... not to mention confusing as hell, since it's structured around Yendi...), so it's good that you're keeping me on my toes.
Unfortunately, I haven't read Dzur yet. I have a really stupid reason, too. You see, I bought my first 5 or 6 Vlad books at once (at this awesome bookshop in Chicago that has since closed), and I found them in paperback. To preserve series 'contiguity', if you will, I'm trying to buy only the paperbacks. I almost broke down and bought Issola when it came out, though, and given the rumors I've heard about Dzur, I've wanted to buy it, too (and I'm missing all the spoilerific discussions!). But I shall persevere! I hope. ;)
*coughs* Right... 'real' email. Well, I'm only 10 weeks late, neh? *Grins*
Thanks for stopping by!
*grins* I understand completely with the paperback. I had the same, except I figured "you know, there's eight more books coming in this series, and _no way_ am I ever going to be able to wait for each and every one of them, so I might as well give in now."
I know it's impossible to get the entire series in hardcover, but I did find an Issola still, so now I'll have nine by nine, which I think will look pretty decent, too. :) (I'm not ruling out also buying the paperback when it's released, though. Us bookgeeks suck like that.) ;)
*nods* I know the problem all too well. ;)
I'm figuring I'll take a few hours sometime and go to a bookstore/library and read Dzur in hardcover... but unfortunately, I haven't had that many free hours during normal hours, recently. Ah, well.
Oooh... GOOD! Reading material!
Thanks a ton Wiggin, I'm pleasently surprised to see you remembered :)
I would recommend you to read Enchantment. It's one of my favourite fantasy books and it's author is Card, whom I know you like :)
I wonder what you think of the Dragonlance series, btw, because I'm very partial towards it. IMO It's rather shallow and full of cliches (I have been in better plots even while playing DnD), but it's very gripping, and Raistlin is such a brilliant character...
Yes, I have read Enchantment (and actually own it) and enjoyed it quite a bit. He manages to take a fairy tale and create full-fleshed and believable characters, a difficult feat.
If you liked Enchantment, you'll probably enjoy some of his other standalone novels. Treasure Box is a good one, as is Homebody (both are 'modern' fantasy in that it deals with our world with a supernatural twist). Magic Street is another good one that reminded me vaguely of Tad Williams' War of the Flowers (though only vaguely). Give them a shot!
I'll get around to my SF recommendations someday soon, I hope. Until then, happy reading.
Ender
Oh, right, Dragonlance. I've never read the books, though I have a number of friends who love them as 'pop' fantasy. I don't know, I guess I was always afraid that I'd feel I'd wasted my time reading them on books with shallow plots/etc.
Perhaps I'll give the first few books a try? I'll drop by my library sometime...
Post a Comment