13.2.06

Words that sound funny

In recent conversations with a friend of mine in vet school we've both remarked that some anatomical terms are just fun to say, and sound pretty silly. I found it odd, but then realized that we're only noticing this because the terms are new ones to us, so we consciously notice the sounds we are making. Some of them were:

crista galli
ansa cervicalis
omohyoid
sacula
tunica flava
cricoid
abducent
zygomaticofacial
pronator teres
arytenoid
bulbospongiousus
falx cerebri (this is my favorite, personally)

I could go on (this is only anatomical terms! I haven't even TALKED about other biological terms...). But thinking about it, I realized that there are plenty of everyday words that sound funny, too, when stripped of their associations:

puke
bagel
cabal
intriguing
glue
spinnaker
grumble
weasel

...etc, etc. What's your favorite weird-sounding word? Though I started off in English, people are more than welcome to include other languages, eh?

Oh, and useful fact of the day: Cheez-it crackers, even after being left half-finished in a cabinet for at least three or four months, do not readily go stale. *munches away happily*

4 comments:

Eliyak said...

You use the word "spinnaker" in everyday conversation? But then you always were a bit of a heteroclite.

My words:
dorm
triple
crank
club

Ender said...

Hey! Spinnaker is a really cool word. And it's, like, useful. If you're talking about boats, that is.

*grins* Heteroclite is a kinda weird-sounding word, too, eh?

I like triple! Very cool words, there, Eliyak.

(And I see you have a new home! You shoulda told me, I've been hitting yetispotter every day in the vain hopes of seeing a post... *Grins*)

i said...

Dude. "Spinnaker" is GREAT. haha That's where I liiiiiive. :)

Word of yesterday: detumescence. B/c it doesn't really sound like what it means. That is... I feel like it should be some sort of lackadaisical glow. But, instead...

A few quirks of lit:
Sprinkles
Waltzing gibberish
Eyeball
Twist
Erlenmeyer Flask
Antibodies
Omphaloskepsis

:oD

And my comment verification word: yiknjeq
:oD Sounds Yiddish, right? =b

Anonymous said...

Sorry guys,
I can't stop giggling at epiglottis! It brought tears to my eyes!!