28.7.04

A must-see movie

No, I don't mean Spiderman 2.

Last night, I had the privilege to see one of the five documentaries in the film 'Broken Silence'. It was put together by the Shoah Foundation, interviewing Holocaust survivors in five different countries. I saw one with interviews from Argentinean (and perhaps Chilean?) survivors, speaking of their experiences. The film was exquisitely done, horribly depressing, and very thought-provoking.

One bit I remember: A man was speaking of when he and his family were deported in the liquidation of a ghetto. He said that as they were hustled away, he noticed that their door had been left open. "Who leaves their home with the door open?" he asked. That image has stayed with him until today.

I don't suppose I'm doing a good job of explaining it; suffice it to say, the movie is incredible, and worthwhile seeing no matter how much you know about the Holocaust. There were also some sobering thoughts about some of the Nazi leaders who took refuge in Argentina, and the various nasty things that have occurred there (the Israeli embassy bombing in 1992, the AMIA bombing in 1994, a coup back in the 70s...). Most thought provoking of all was the survivors' feelings that the Holocaust was not a unique event in history, and it can all too easily occur again.

Highly recommended. But be prepared for depression.

No comments: