As I'm sure all of my readers know, events in Israel have rapidly been escalating from a constant, low-intensity conflict to all out war. Israeli troops and armor are rolling into Gaza in force, and it looks like Operation Summer Rains will be a lengthy and bloody process.
This sudden deterioration has been triggered by two things. First, the Hamas government's inaction in the face of Israeli demands to halt daily Qassam fire on Israeli towns, and secondly (and most proximally), the attack on an IDF post in Green Line Israel, and the subsequent kidnapping of Corporal Gilad Shalit. The kidnapping was carried out by the PRC (and umbrella terror group) and the Hamas military wing, and has been the first successful kidnapping of a soldier since 1994 (though the lynching back in the beginning of the intafada sort of counts, I guess).
Since the kidnapping of Shalit, two other Israelis have been kidnapped: one, a 18-year old student who tried hitchhiking his way home in the West Bank, and (probably) an ill 62-year old man from Rishon Letzion. Though this all comes at once, the threat of kidnapping has been a serious one for some time now. For months, IDF intelligence and the Shin Bet have been warning that the Palestinian terror groups were trying very assiduously to kidnap Israelis as a way of leverage over the government, and to enable the release of important security prisoners (ie terrorists).
Why this sudden focus on kidnapping? It's been tried before by the Palestinians, but it has rarely been pursued so assiduously. First of all, Israel set a dangerous precedent a few years back in the Tenenbaum case, where a corrupt Israeli businessman and three dead soldiers who had been held in Lebanon were exchanged for the release of hundreds of detainees in Israeli prisons. More importantly, I think, is the rise of hostage-taking as the method of choice among Iraqi insurgents to bring the West to its knees. (Though it is not reported on too much in the Western media any more, abductions of Westerners and Iraqi government employees has become a matter of course in Iraq.)
Given the ultimate premium Israel places on the lives and bodies of its citizens, the Palestinians wisely thought that adapting Iraqi tactics would give them unprecedented leverage against the 'occupiers'. After all, the West Bank PRC has already threatened to 'butcher' the 18-year old student (Eliyahu Asheri) if Israel does not immediately withdraw from its military offensive in the Gaza Strip... clearly hearkening back to the language and actions of Iraqi hostage-takers.
Now here's the million dollar question: will this tactic work? I would like to suggest that it will be a complete and utter failure, and may have been one of the most foolish mistakes the Palestinian terror groups (particularly Hamas) have ever made.
Israel has adequate countermeasures, whereas the Iraqi situation is much tougher to regulate
Israel is already working on completing plans to 'seal off' most of the Palestinian population from access to the Israeli population. It's a simple matter, then, to revoke all of the remaining work permits, close the border, and sit tight. Of course, the WB security fence will need to be completed first, but that's in the process. I doubt that the latter two kidnappings could have occurred if the WB barrier was complete.
Of course, this does not address attacks like the one that captured Corporal Shalit. The tunnelling problem is one the IDF is still addressing, but I'm confident they will be able to develop adequate countermeasures to this sort of attack in the future.
More importantly, the entire milieu of Iraq is different than in the Israeli territories. In Iraq, the US is dealing with a mostly hostile population, is seriously undermanned, and must always be on guard. In contrast, most of Israel safe from such kidnapping tactics and the military enjoys short supply lines, an abundance of manpower, a comfortable superiority of forces, and enormous support from most of the public. Put succinctly, the potential hostages far outnumber hostiles in areas of Israel behind the security fences, and can be well protected and kept track of.
The Israeli public is much more used to coping with these situations than other Western populations
Granted, Israel also tends to put a higher value on each individual life and body, but the public is no longer shocked by such acts, just angered. I have only sympathy for the Shalit and Asheri families, and the Israeli public has shown signs of wanting all of this incessant death to end... but in the end, Israelis are awfully strong at dealing with this kind of trauma. I think the public would put trust in a military solution (as they did back in '94 with Nachshon Waxman)... and if it fails, they will coldly agree to a significant military intervention to seriously damage the terrorists' ability to carry out further attacks.
This is a public that supported 18 years of fighting in Lebanon to eliminate Katyusha attacks on Kiryat Shmonah. True, they got sick of the hemhorraging of soldiers' lives by the end, but they had a remarkable tolerance for trusting in military solutions rather than appeasement in response to attacks. Since Lebanon, the IDF has learned; now, they have limited objectives that can be carried out in weeks to months in Gaza (as they did back in 2002 in the WB), and seriously damage the terrorist base of operations.
Essentially, the Palestinians are likely to get absolutely nothing for their efforts... except overwhelming Israeli public support for military intervention (which the IDF did not have prior to these attacks).
The Palestinians are about to learn just how stupid their move was
Israel is working with tactics that steadily increase the pressure on Hamas and the PA to shape up, or be destroyed. For the first time, Israel has been talking seriously about wholesale assassination of most of the PA/PLC leadership. They've begun a slow escalation of the invasion in Gaza - a invasion that we all know will go very poorly for the oh-so-brave Palestinian fighters in the streets. Hamas political leaders are being arrested, weapons shops and training camps have come under fire, etc. This is a game of chicken, and Israel is not planning on losing. In an all-out military engagement, there is no question about who will be the victors. It may be a costly victory for Israel, but they will win if they decide on a course of military action.
They're more than happy to use this as a pretext to utterly destroy the terrorist infrastructure in Gaza, while toppling the Hamas government... and the panicky sounds we're hearing from the PA suggests they're beginning to believe Israel.
Put simply, the Iraqi paradigm of kidnapping doesn't pay... at least not in Israel, it doesn't.
28.6.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi, let me tell you a bit about myself.
I'm a 16 year old teenager from Israel. I consider myself extremely mature in relation to my age.
I like to read, to study, and I have a great thirst for knowledge.
Sadly, I've never really been interested in the news.
Maybe it's because there is simply too much of them lately... exploding buses have become the routine now.
But, reading your "version" of what's going on, I was actually interested. All of a sudden I care.
I also must note that from my point of view what you write is incredibly accurate, even about a public you don't belong to.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, keep up the good work, and thanks.
You've just got yourself a reader.
(I got here cause I liked your name in the INA forums, Ender Wiggin is my favorite book character and role model. I adore scott card. Could you recommend me some more books in that style (beside the one you wrote about lower in the page)? ).
Wow, I was only intending to say thanks :P
Forgot to mention English is my third language, don't be harsh :)
Eddie:
First off, I'm pleased you stopped by, and that you feel I'm on target. Can't say everyone agrees with me, but I try to at least have a rational take on the news.
Secondly, any comments/refinements/etc. that you'd like to add to any of my analyses are welcome. I always appreciate first hand information and ideas, rather than what is filtered through to the American media. Have no fears about your language skills... English is my *first* language, and I'm awfully bad at articulating myself. Your comment was clear and cogent. *smiles* (And Hebrew is *my* second language, and it sucks way more, trust me.)
Lastly, about book recommendations. Hmm, that's a toughie. What parts did you like about Card's books? His characters, his worlds, his writing? If you'd like, I could write a quick post tomorrow about some of my favorite SF/fantasy books/authors, and why. There isn't really anyone who writes like Card does, but there are some books/writers who at least share some similarities.
Just a few authors to rattle off really quickly; let me know if you haven't heard of any.
SF: Vernor Vinge, Neal Stephenson, David Zindell, Robert Frezza, Frank Herbert, Robert Heinlein (sometimes), William Gibson... to name a few. (Note: the last two are a bit uneven, IMHO. I can recommend some specific books later, if you'd like.)
Fantasy: Robin Hobb, Steven Erikson, Steven Brust, Robert Jordan (an acquired taste, I'll admit), Tolkein (duh), Tad Williams, Terry Pratchett.
This is a very off-the-cuff list. I'll try to organize things and present some authors and their best works, and how they compare with Card's best stuff.
While I'm mentioning Card, have you read all of his books? In particular, I've found that many of his standalone novels are truly extraordinary: Songmaster, Enchantment, Magic Street, and Homebody to name a few. I enjoyed them all. Even his earlier works ('Treason', 'Worthing Saga', etc.) are pretty fun, though a bit rougher around the edges. I'm ashamed to admit I've never gotten far in the Alvin books, and I wasn't a big fan of the Homecoming books. If you know much Tanach, the Sarah/Rebbekah/Rachel and Leah books are kinda fun, though with an odd Mormon twist.
Anywho, I'll try to get you a more complete reply soon. I've been kinda glued to the news, lately...
*bows* Once again, thanks for stopping by! Should you ever wish to contact me directly, you can try my throwaway email at shunterman AT yahoo, where I can then send you a *real* email address.
Ender
Ender,
Thank you so much for the oh so fast reply, and for taking me seriously. :)
I've thought about it, and what I like about Card's writing is the writing itself... The way he reveals the plot. His characters are always nice, and rarely shallow. In addition, he's very good at making each and every one of them "remembered" (best example I can think of is the first time Ender meets Novinha's children. Card introduced 6 new characters in no time and I could still tell them apart).
Also, I like the way he does/conducts serious research about the topics he writes about. The whole "Japanese discussions" part in Xenocide was very well thought out, and when I read Enchantment I recognized the places he described in Russia (I'm an "ole hadash", though I've lived most of my life here in Israel)- which was a nice touch.
The latest book by him I read was "Oman hashir"... I had to read it in Hebrew, a mistake that won’t ever repeat itself.
I don't even know it's name in English... It's the one with the singing boy Anset. Very similar to Ender's Game in the begining, drops it’s level later since Card simply didn't manage to convey a convincing view of politics IMO... And the book was full of pedophilia, which slightly disturbed me.
Lets see, of the writers you've mentioned I’ve only recognized Frank Herbert (Dune), Tolkein (da..) and Pratchett (Discworld and others).
Other books I've enjoyed reading are HG2G (Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) by Douglas Adams, the Dragonlance series (which is a bit childish but imagination provoking for a DND fan such as myself) and I'm about to read Legends by David Gemmel.
Ah! Reading the list of Card's books you've recommended I recognize Songmaster, which is the book I was talking about earlier.
Heh, while I was writing these several paragraphs I've also figured out that what I really like about Card's style are the complex and very believable ...relations/ connections/interactions between the various characters. Like in real life, the characters change when they are around different people.
As for comments, well, all I can say is that you seem to have hit the nail on the head. I might have found some errors or have gotten into a disagreement with you have I been more "in-touch" with the news, but since I have no opinions of myself yet, I think I'll have to settle for yours, which seem to make sense for now.
Again, thanks for the quick reply.
I'm at an age in which I'm trying to expand myself as far as I can and in as many directions as possible (for some people this remains true for all of their lives).
Don't unglue yourself from the news because of me... I can wait. In fact I think I'll go get myself up to date as well. I'm 16 for crying out loud, the army is only 2 years away!
I'll contact you via email if the need arises. Shuv, toda raba!
Oh, and I think I'll call myself Bean from now, just for laughs :)
one last comment, sorry if this is a double post, had some trouble with the browser.
I think you can go a step further with the public support argument. Given that the Western/public is more sensitive to this sort of thing (sensitive as in they are not as used to it, not that they value life more or anything like that), publicizing these kidnappings not only increases "Israeli public support for military intervention" but also the greater public. General public support for Israel military aggression in the area has hit an all time low since the itnadkut last summer, but no country can (or well, it will become more difficult for countries to..) deny Israel's right to protect its people, especially not within its borders.
-Valentine
What we need right now is a PM with balls. Sharon had them, and accomplished things. We need to make a decision and act now, instead of debating the proper actions forever.
The Israeli public is really devided right now. Half of us want to see all arabs dead, and the other half wants to just give them whatever it is they want and end this war once and for all. This is ofcourse an exagaration, but the point is that the public is in a conflict.
I personally think we shouldn't give them 1 sqare cm of our land. They won't stop untill the whole god damn country belongs to them.
All we need now is a good excuse to really attack and disable them. But that's ok, cause that's obviously what they are so desperatly trying to give us...
Post a Comment