19.5.06

Tikkun l'korim recommendations?

Note: Those of my readers who don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry; you're not supposed to. If you're really curious, toss me an IM or email or whatever, and I'll explain.

To the rest of you:

I've recently been looking for a top-notch Tikkun to replace my aging and inaccurate one (an old black one from Ktav Publishing that used to be my father's). Much as the old one has a lot of sentimental value, I've found myself increasingly annoyed with its inaccuracy in nikud and trope, not to mention somewhat shoddy typesetting.

So, for any of you who know (or who have leiner friends who would know), I am looking for a Tikkun with the following attributes:

1) Accuracy. Preferably, the text should be based on the Keter Aram Tzova directly (and not on some later mikraot gedolot printing; many of those were prone to errors that have been propagated in later printings). Obviously, this isn't possible for a good chunk of the text, but I'd like all of the text to be accurate to the most authoritative text for each part. (For those of you who are about to recommend the Koren text, please think again. There are multiple Tanachim that disagree with the Koren text on a few points. I personally would bet that R' Mordechai Breuer's Tanach is probably the best text; however, I have not been able to find a tikkun that claims to use this text. Also, I'm not a big fan of the 'Keter Yerushalayim' formatting. If you can convincingly prove to me that Koren (or Adi, or whatever) is a better version, then I'll consider it.)

2) Vavei Haamudim - I'd like the pages to be aligned like the 'classic' column alignments that are found on many of the scrolls... not an absolute requirement, but I'd like it.

3) It must have not only parshiot and haftarot, but also all five megillot.

4) It might be nice (but NOT required) for a short section on nikud rules, rules of k'riat hatorah and aliyot, etc. Nikud is probably the most important.

5) I'd like to have it have a difference between kamatz katan/gadol... I know the rules, but sometimes it's good to have corroborating evidence on tricky cases.

6) If each line could mirror on both sides of the tikkun, that would be great (ie, every word is at the same line, and same PART of the line on both sides).

...if I think of any more criteria, I'll post them. Cost is no object.

While I'm at it, if any of you have come across a good technical text on leyning (things like differences between conjunctive and disjunctive te'amim, and the rules of when one note becomes another), along with a good refresher on really esoteric bits of nikud in Tanach... I would be deeply indebted to you for a reference. I'd prefer if it were in English, but I can bull my way through the Hebrew, if necessary.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Eliyak said...

You know about the Simanim Tikkun, right? It's an excellent tikun, and has shva nas + kametz katans, as well as some more "interesting" additions, but I'm not sure about the source used by it. It seems to be very carefully done, however. If you know of a specific point that would show which text it uses, I can check one of the copies around here.

Ender said...

Hmm... if I remember correctly, the Simanim Tikkun has one thing that I absolutely *abhor*... that being them 'highlighting' things on the 'torah' side of the tikkun. If this isn't the one I'm thinking of, I'll have to check again.

Since I've made this post, I've found two tikkunim that might do the trick if I buy them together. One is one from Chorev that I *think* is based on the correct text, but I'm not a fan of its formatting, and another has everything else - formatting, shva na/nach, kamatz katan/gadol, dagesh kal/chazak, milra/mileil, etc. Of course, I haven't been able to find either now that I think I know what I want. Grr.

On another note, I've been trying to track down Rav Breuer's seminal work on syntax and teamim from the '80s... 'Ta'amei Hamikra be-kaf aleph sefarim uvsifrei emet'. Any ideas on how I can get ahold of it? The 'best' bookstore in Baltimore didn't even know what I was talking about.

Hmm... maybe I'll get the choreiv tikken and the Simanim one? I'll have to give it another look. It's funny, now that I've started looking into the details of leyning, I've gotten really exacting on how I do things... making me really exacting on texts/etc.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anonymous said...

Simanim uses Kesser Aram tsovah. It also addresses Vavai Hamudim, diffentiates between Dagesh Chazak and Kal as well as a number of other items that make this a very valuable tikkun.

Anonymous said...

did you find a tikkun? Ifso, which one?

I"ve been on a ta'amei mikra kick and am now searching to buy a copy of mordechai breuer's ta'amei hamikra which should have some interesting info about the disjunctive/ conjunctive ta'amim. In the meanwhile I've been studying the A.W. Binder volume on cantillation marks. As you, like I, can read music. This book has a number of interesting points regarding adding the ta'amim together. I've been searching for additional menaing to the ta'amim, some of which I learned when I was at Princeton's Tehological seminary and got introduced to new ta'amim like the oleh v'yored and such ta'amim not commonly referred to by modern Jewry. Interesting stuff.
chatul