Just a quick thought I wanted to jot off before I forgot:
We spend so much time complaining about special effects in movies, and how they could be better/cooler, whatever. (I know, 'we' is a somwhat small sampling of the population, but work with me here.)
Why?
I haven't figured out an answer to that yet; it seems to me that if a movie's story/acting/directing/etc. is good, it doesn't matter if the effects are piss-poor. Conversely, a crappy movie won't be saved by slick effects.
An interesting corollary I realized: we spend lots of time wishing effects were more 'realistic'. Why should we look for good simulations of real effects? We've got pretty damn cool special effects in nature and real life, anyways.
Have you ever just stopped and looked around you? Really looked. There is amazement and beauty and genius all around us, and in far more convincing form that 'special' effects.
4.4.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well, apparently people want to be convinced that what they're seeing is real, and not just a set of scenes pasted together from hundreds of takes of people pretending to be in various situations.
For the same reason, advertisements can use "testimonials" from "real people," or show us effects that weren't actually achieved with said product.
On a less cynical note, spring is a great time to get outside and experience the real world. It is a mighty fine place, indeed.
Post a Comment