6.9.04

Just *who* are you again?

Every now and then, I get IMed by someone who I don't recognize. As my enterprising reader(s?) may know, this is an unlikely occurrence for me, given my reticence in sharing such contact information. But when this does happen, I actually skim the person's profile to guess who they are before responding. Rarely have I found this method of use. Perhaps because IM profiles are not any longer methods of identifying people, but rather forums on which to post odd things/thoughts/quotes/links/etc. For example, my own profile, currently (names have been changed to protect the innocent):
http://matlabfreak.blogspot.com

23:23:57 Jeff: im not brilliant, im just highly reflective!

"It beats sending dead chickens to Belarus though."

I'm Ender. Or wiggin. Yeah. Also the Rogue Taxidermist. And a Haitian sugar lord.

This girl has some nerve: *grins, hugs*
"20:28:09 Krystal: oh.. my X bosses called today and asked me to work for them just tonight cuz they had leftover dishes
20:28:29 Krystal: i told them to fuck off and shove it up their asses.. when you fire some one they no longer work for you!
20:28:34 me: yay!
20:28:38 me: you tell 'em
20:28:38 Krystal: then i called and told them i was busy and i was sorry"

The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer.
- David Ben-Gurion

"The UN gave us some parts here *points to Tel Aviv*, here *points to sliver of Galilee* and ALL of the beautiful, bright Negev. But when the declaration of independence was signed and the Egyptians were shelling Tel Aviv, they kindly offered us an additional plot under the sea."
(Any unattributed quotes are from forums I frequent - I protect the "innocent" even in my profile, for that.)

So... what does that tell you about me? Nothing. Well, I'm interested in Israel. And Orson Scott Card. But that's about it. I wonder if we'll ever develop *real* profile-like things, or if IM will continue to be essentially a "white-listing" type of communication method. I'd prefer the latter, myself.

No comments: